Mayo Family Winery
Gold Discovered at Mayo Family Winery in Sonoma Valley!
At the 2015 Sonoma County Harvest Fair held in early October, Mayo Family Winery won the double gold medal for their 2009 Sparkling Brut, Laurel Hill Vineyard, Sonoma Valley, Estate-grown ($40).
The winery received gold medals for three Zinfandels: the 2013 Zinfandel Reserve, Ricci Vineyard, Russian River Valley ($50); the 2013 Zinfandel Reserve, Laurel Hill Vineyard, Russian River Valley ($30); and the 2012 Zinfandel, Unti Vineyard, Dry Creek Valley ($40).
The awards continued with three more gold medals for the 2013 Carignane, Stone Ranch Vineyard, Dry Creek Valley ($35); the 2013 Merlot Reserve, Los Chamizal Vineyards, Sonoma Valley ($50); and the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon, Los Chamizal Vineyards, Sonoma Valley ($45).
Jeffrey Mayo, President, Michel ‘Mike’ Berthoud, Winemaker, and Cellar Master Antonio Martinez received acknowledgment for the family winery operation and their excellence in winemaking through their bounty of awards. Jeffrey mentioned, “It felt great to be validated and honored amongst our winery peers and to receive such a favorable response.” A range of wine experts from across the country including hospitality industry professionals, trade, media and enologists evaluated more than 1,200 wines at the largest regional wine competition in the country.
How a Family Winery Develops and Grows
Henry and Diane Mayo decided to plant a vineyard in 1990 with 3,000 Chardonnay vines resulting in 200 cases bottled in 1993. They expanded with the Laurel Hill Vineyard in the Sonoma appellation and the Ricci Vineyard in the Russian River appellation.
Their vineyards grew into a successful family winery operation expanding with three-generations of family members assisting to produce award-winning wines. Henry and Diane’s son, Jeffrey Mayo is President and his cousin Courtney Emer manages the tasting room.
The growing family business includes two winemaking facilities for specific types of wine production. “The secret to our success is in producing small-lot, single-vineyard wines with flavor, texture and aromas native to the vineyards’ terroir,” Jeffrey said.
Join the Cellar Club to enjoy the benefits of becoming part of the Mayo family and receive private event invitations, and small-lot, award-winning wine shipments. While at the tasting room, ask about the Grand Cru Club, Reserve Collector Club and the Cellar Enthusiast Club. Each offer a specialized wine list for tastings and shipments.
Mayo Family Winery wines are available online and in Sonoma Valley at the Glen Ellen tasting room or the reserve room in Kenwood where Executive Chef, Sam Frumkin prepares an exciting seven-course pairing menu with unique reserve wines. Select any of these preferred wines to take home to enjoy with your family and friends.
• White Wines: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer, Viognier, Sparkling Brut and other selections.
• Red Wines: Alicante Bouschet, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignane, Malbec, Meritage, Merlot, Petite Sirah, Petite Verdot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Zinfandel, Italian, Red Blends, Rhone Style Wines and other selections.
• Dessert Wine: Zinfandel Port.
• Reserve Wines: 2012 Sangiovese Reserve, Unti Vineyard, Dry Creek Valley “Christo’s Cuvee;” 2012 Pinot Noir Reserve, La Cruz Vineyard, Sonoma Coast, “Dijon Clones;” 2011 Zinfandel, Ricci Vineyard, Russian River Valley, Reserve-Old Vines; 2012 Malbec, Duke’s Vineyard, Napa Valley, “Reserve;” and the 2013 Chardonnay Reserve, Laurel Hill Vineyard, Sonoma Valley. Your warm and friendly hosts are pleased to explain the flavor and differences between their wines, courtesy of the Mayo family, Henry, Diane, Jeffrey, Courtney, Mike the Winemaker, and Antonio the Cellar Master. Stop by today and taste some gold award-winning wines at Mayo Family Winery in Sonoma Valley.
Premium Tasting: Six vineyard-designated wines including popular Sonoma Valley varietals such as Chardonnay, Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon available at the tasting room $8 per person – complimentary for Cellar Club members. Relax outside in the scenic and pet-friendly picnic area.
Adventure Tasting: Taste nine rare and different varietals $12 per person – complimentary for Cellar Club members.
Reserve Room Food and Wine Pairing in Kenwood: Seven reserve wines with a seven-course pairing menu with Executive Chef, Sam Frumkin.
Enjoy the wine-inspired art, music and scenic hillside vineyards in Kenwood. Call for reservations and fees, (707) 833-5504.
• Find Mayo Family Winery on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Trip Advisor and Yelp
• For information, call (707) 938-9401 or email email@example.com