Building on a history that spans over 150 years, Marin French Cheese Company (or “The Cheese Factory” as they are known to locals) enjoys the distinction of being the longest continually-operating cheese company in America. Cool breezes from the Pacific Ocean only ten miles away from the historic ranch in Hicks Valley cascade over the rural land–providing exceptional grazing pastures for the Jersey, Holstein, and Guernsey cows, yielding the highest quality hormone-free milk for their cheesemaking.
All cheeses are handcrafted in 20-gallon buckets today, just as they were back in 1865. Using only fresh milk which arrives daily from neighboring dairies within 20 miles from the creamery, their commitment to naturally-made cheeses without preservatives and additives is a hallmark of Marin French.
Their signature cheese, Petite Breakfast, was created in the early 1900s due to a poultry disease epidemic, which in turn, created a shortage of eggs. Jefferson A. Thomson, the founder of the creamery, sold his fresh, un-ripened Brie to saloons where it was welcomed by the dockworkers as an alternate source of protein and as a substitute for pickled eggs. The Petite Breakfast (as it’s now called today) continues to be the creamery’s most popular cheese.
Visitors to the creamery’s cheese shop will experience free cheese tastings daily. There’s even a charming deli-café on-site with a large variety of cold and hot sandwiches, drinks, artisan food products and a variety of picnic foods that can be enjoyed with the entire family. Spread out a picnic blanket on the historic property either overlooking the picturesque pond, or nestled in the shaded redwood grove for a relaxing afternoon.
Soft-ripened, cow milk Brie-style cheeses including Triple Crème, Camembert, flavored Bries such as jalapeño, pesto and garlic plus the creamery’s original recipe Petite Breakfast and washed-rind Schloss.
• 1 gallon of milk = 1.2 pounds of cheese
• Schloss, (which translates to “castle”) is a washed-rind cheese which won a “Super Gold” medal at the World Cheese Awards in London in 2015.
• Only vegetable rennet is used, making our cheeses vegetarian friendly.
• A signature hot sandwich featuring a Marin French cheeses is sampled in the café on the first Saturday and Sunday of each month.
• Build a custom cheese gift basket! Perfect for gift giving and available in the cheese shop Monday- Thursday. Call shop for more details.